Sunday, November 15, 2009

2 out of 5 boroughs ain't bad

I've come to the conclusion that, for now, 48 hours in New York City is the proper amount of time. This isn't a complaint; indeed, I very much enjoyed my visit there. Hot dogs at 3am. Last call at 4am. The subway system that allows for the complete avoidance of taxi cabs of you're willing to hoof it.

Seeing my latest film screened and having actual audience members whom I didn't know attend was my favorite moment, as lowkey as the actual event was. Screened in the conference room of a Holiday Inn, it shouted "film festival" about as much as deaf mute could, but it worked. For sixteen minutes while my film played out, projected on a smallish screen, the assembled becaume an audience. People laughed where I hoped they would, the applauded truthfully, not politely, and one guy even gave me his business card. Granted, he could have been hitting on me. I am devastatingly good-looking.

What was probably my second favorite moment occured the morning Nate and I arrived. Landed at 5am, check in not until noon, we killed time by heading into Manhattan. Jesus, the wind was blowing. Dirt got in my eye, Nate was sans jacket and therefore freezing. But what made it worthwhile was seeing New York go to work. Times Square was strangely empty, the only pedestrians scurrying to work; it was, after all, just another Thursday. There is work to be done, by God, time to get indoors and crunch the numbers. And much like school hallways after the tardy bell has rung, by 10am the streets were devoid of proper citizens, leaving the tourists and unfortunates out in the cold. We finally

-- Post script: This is what remains of a rather lengthy blog post I wrote as I waited for my plane to take off from JFK. The wonderfully little shitty app I was using (the name of which escapes me presently) decided to only send what you read above. Let this post stand as a monument to those times where technology stifles or kills creativity by buggin' out.

No comments: